Monday, May 4, 2015

A New Ingredient


So, it's been a while to say the least.  And this little chef has cooked up a surprise not one of you would guess.  I baked the greatest dream of all...and her name is Averie.  My little angel cake was fully cooked on June 22nd of last year.  She's now 10 1/2 months old and my, how life has changed.  

In all the time I shared my dreams on this very blog, turns out the hole in my heart was less about pursuing a dream and more about creating one in an oven all my own.  Deep down I knew that...and even expressed it in many ways.  Still, I seek my professional dream...I want to find just the right fit.  Something that melds my heartfelt passions with the woman I am inside and the woman I am yet to become.  

Averie has changed everything.

Four days before I learned she was there, I lost my job.  The whole team I worked with was wiped out in almost one fell swoop.  This was on a Wednesday.  Come Sunday...that shock turned to emotional paralysis and disbelief when I learned I was pregnant.  I'd dreamed of this all my life and when I least expected it...pow, it was here.

Timing is everything, I swear. 

For the next several weeks, I was a downright mess.  My once favorite place (the kitchen) now yielded heavy doses of nausea around the clock.  Gone were the days of creating epicurean feasts and in came days (and nights) of little more than bagels and bread.  It was about all this Sweet Dreamer could stomach.  

Again, timing is everything.  I couldn't fathom waking up in the wee hours of the morning to get dolled up for work the way I was feeling.  I could scarcely lift myself off the couch with skull cracking headaches and a sense of smell that would put a bomb-sniffing dog to shame...let alone muster the strength to go to work.  As a high-risk pregnancy - my sole purpose in life was now to protect and care for the life inside me.  That was priority number one. 

The Universe had closed a door I needed closed at this moment in my life.  And opened a new one that has more possibility and beauty than any sight I've ever seen.   She was born into this world healthy and happy and peaceful; among family and friends, laughter and tears.  I have quite literally Baked the Perfect Dream.  

Much more to come...

Sweet Dreams, 
Me

"But life inevitably throws us curve balls, unexpected circumstances that remind us to expect the unexpected.  I've come to understand these curveballs are the beautiful unfolding of both karma and current." - Carre Otis

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogosphere! I kind of think it was not so much the Perfect Dream so much as it was the expected results from the Perfect Baker. Congratulations! And, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alycia, this is beautiful! I still can't get over the timing. #Perfect

    ReplyDelete