Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pardon Our Appearance: Renovations Under Way

Life doesn't always go according to plan.  It's a daily creation full of unexpected twists and turns.  It's up to us to either see those curveballs as opportunities to come up with a new draft...or as setbacks that can turn a project upside down.  I choose the former.  

But it can still be scary...terrifying, in fact.  Why? Because the unknown involves risk.  And we'll never know the payoff until the Renovations get Under Way.  The What Ifs can bring construction to a halt - while we sit paralyzed with fear.  Fear of things not turning out better than they'd begun. In other facets of life, we call this the "devil we know versus the devil we don't".  It's all a risk.  We just need to choose which ones are worth taking.

In recent months and weeks, my Blueprint has gone awry. As if someone spilled hot coffee all over it and made the ink run haphazardly across my Big Life Plan. Everything was the Status Quo - and now the lines are blurred, the measurements unreadable and the outcome is anyone's guess.

Sometimes, you need to take a step back and look from a different point of view.  Noticing the confluence of events that brought you to this point.  Whatever led to this now illegible place...may be nature's way of forcing you to come up with a New Plan entirely...to see things in a different light.

Am I frightened?  Oh, God yes.  But buried beneath that anxiety lies the trembling excitement of a child.  This is my chance, I say to myself.  This is my chance to start anew.  To lace up my sneakers and tread bravely down a road I've never walked.  And when the terror subsides, I see beautiful things...such beautiful things.  I see trees and falling leaves.  I feel crisp, healthy air.  I smell the aroma of a fireplace burning and imagine a family nestled around it.  I sense all of my favorite things.  And most of all...I feel peace.

This path may be one I need to walk alone.  I didn't know that might be my reality nor did I really want that…but I will put one foot in front of the other and march bravely forward no matter what.  Knowing I've been through so much worse before, I know deep down, this is a course I can chart.  Surrounded by the love and support of my family and friends, I know I can reconstruct ME into the ME I want to be.

All I need to do is make that choice....and find my voice once again.

Sweet Dreams, 
Me

"We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance."  -Harrison Ford

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Dreamer, only fear fear itself.......Other than that, nothing in your way. Keep looking ahead and don't ever look back. You can do this. You truly are such an instrument of inspiration. Bill

    ReplyDelete